Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tumble

When you first came to us you were a scared little pussy cat, hiding behind the piano with your sister. But very soon you made this your new home and loved us as your new parents. Gradually you started to discover the outside world – but never venturing too far from the back door, so you could always see your way back.

As you started to get to know us you started to talk to us, announcing your presence and demanding our attention. You would come into the room when I was making music and insist that I stop what I was doing and give you some tickles under the chin. Then you began to get up onto the desk where I was working and sit alongside the keyboard, so you could be close to me.

You learnt such a lot while you were with us – you learnt how to use the cat-flap, how to climb fences, and you showed amazing skill at climbing ladders – up and down.

You've slept in all sorts of locations – in the wardrobe, on the landing, in practically every room of the house – but more recently choosing always to sleep on the bed with me, at least for part of the night. On your last night with us you stayed with me in my arms through until 5.30am, our longest ever cuddle.

You were such a little character, stealing your sister's food, pouncing on string, playing with the footballs, yapping at birds in the garden, scared of the vacuum cleaner, waking us up every morning by calling from the bottom of the stairs. And you could always hear the sound of a packet of treats being opened, no matter where you were or how fast asleep you seemed.

You were always waiting to greet me when I came home from work, and when we returned home very late at the end of our wedding day, and after coming back from our honeymoon, you trotted down the stairs still half-asleep, so pleased to see us.

You were such a brave little girl when your collar was stuck and we had to cut it away from your fur.

You loved to explore, loved to crawl into the undergrowth or sit beneath the conifer, but you were also a homely cat. And you never did get the hang of snow.

Although you have only been part of our lives for a year and a half, it feels like I have known you for so much longer. We were looking forward to many more years of your companionship and it is tragic and devastating that you have been taken from us so soon. I loved you more than I ever thought it was possible to love anything, and I miss you terribly. The house seems quieter and emptier without you and our family is incomplete. I will think about you every single day for the rest of my life; you will always be in my heart.

Rest in peace, my beautiful, sweet little girl. x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home